At least one-third of tripartite Board membership must be democratically selected representatives of low income individuals and families who reside in the geographic area being served by the agency.
The mission of CAAGKC is to assist low income residents of Clay, Jackson, and Platte counties in Missouri to become self-sufficient by providing comprehensive supportive services.
The board supports the work of Community Action Agency of Greater Kansas City (CAAGKC) and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While the day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director & CEO, the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and appropriate involvement of the board is both critical and expected.
Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Advises the Executive Director & CEO in the development and implementation of the Strategic Plan
- Reviews outcomes and metrics for CAAGKC in evaluating its programs and services, their impact, and effectiveness
- Reviews agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approves annual budget, audit reports, and business decisions
- Contributes to annual performance evaluation of Executive Director & CEO
- Assists in identifying and recruiting board members
- Serves on committees and/or task forces, including special assignments
- Represents stakeholders, acts as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensures CAAGKC’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities served by CAAGKC
- Meets all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
The Low Income Sector member will serve a 2-year term to be eligible for re-election. Board meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month. Board members cannot have more than three consecutive absences from board meetings.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least 18 years of age
- Income must not exceed poverty guidelines
- Reside in county in which they will represent
- A commitment to and understanding of CAAGKC’s beneficiaries
- An affinity for cultivating relationships and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for Helping People and Changing Lives
Service on CAAGKC’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.